Thursday, October 25, 2012

Creepy and Gripping

"The Writing on the Wall" By Julie Morrigan

The Writing on the Wall is the title of the book along with one of eight stories in the book. While I was looking at the book on the Kindle before I purchased it, I did not realize it was a collection of stories. I did not get that out of the description; however, I bought it anyway because I liked the title The Writing on the Wall.


The story that names the book is the seventh story and grabs your attention right away with the first two sentences, in which this is how it starts: “I was lying in bed pretending to be asleep, the covers pulled up to my chin. My hands shook as they gripped the sheets, my breathing ragged, air taken in shallow sips.” I do not know about you, but these two sentences reeled me in. It sounds like a horror movie made for television.

It is more of a young adult (YA) short story; however, still an enjoyable read. Makes you think twice about Ouija boards and joking around with curses and turning them into a game. It is a rather creepy story that will send chills through you body.

The author Julie Morrigan, uses descriptive words and details to make it as creepy as she did. In the introduction of the book she describes in a way that she believes it is and that the reader just might see it in the same shade of light too. Morrigan nailed this one right “dead” center. It is a creepy and grippingly must YA story.

I recommend this book, not just for The Writing on the Wall, but also for the entire collection of stories. They are all well written and worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment